The Town viewed from the Pier
Looking south-west towards the Town and its lighthouse
The LIGHTHOUSE from North Parade
This picture of the lighthouse was taken from North Parade with the North Sea immediately behind the photographer.
Read more »
A view North from the Pier
The Beach north of the pier, looking towards Easton Bavents
Read more »
The Lighthouse from St. James's Green, towering over the Sole Bay Inn.
Read more »
THE COMMON, SOUTHWOLD - Charity NO. 304819
In 1996 the Trustees of The Common distributed a leaflet to householders in the Town, outlining what the Trust was and how it related to the Town Council and the information was, subsquently, updated in 2003/4. The essence of that update is set out below:
Southwold Common is not, and never has been, common land. It was part of the bequest left by William Godell, or Godyll, in 1509 to the "Town of Southwold forever to give and sell". Legal Opinion, obtained in 1970, was that the legal estate in The Common was held by Southwold Corporation upon trust for the inhabitants of the town at large and further, that the phrase, ' to give and sell' was used to signify Gogyll's intention that the property should pass on free of restrictions.
Accordingly, over the years, some of the land was sold and the remainder used for whatever purpposes the Baliffs or the Corporation or the Council thought was in the interests of the people.
Providing pasture for stock - at a charge - was The Common's main functuon until 1939, although there are records of horse racing on The Common, of sports and of linen being draped there to bleach in the sun and, of course, golf and other sports have been played on The Common for over 100 years.
Beacause it was used for pasture, the grass was always cropped short, throughout, and could be walked upon, everywhere, with ease. Later the land ceased to be used as pastue, the grass was cut for animal bedding. Unfortunately, the grass had become more and more fouled by dogs, by the late 1950s, and it was unusable for that purpose; the Borough Council was forced to cease cutting and carting, too, because it had little money.
As the Town Council acquired more money through the 1970s an 80s, it did start cutting parts of The Common, but wer it not for the sports clubs cutting and maintaining the areas over which they played. large tracts of The Common would have been and might, to this day, continue to be difficult to walk over.
In the late 1960s when the reorganization of local government was being discussed, the Bprough Council was concerned that if Southwold lost its own council and The Common became the responsibility of another body, that authority might be tempted to sell off parts of The Common. To ensure that The Common remainded an open space, whoever was responsible for it, the Borogh Council registered it as a charity of the recreational use of the community.
In the event, local councils were not abolished; Southwold Town Council was formed and serving Town Councillors took on the mantel of beinTrustees of The Common.